Patient Protection and Safety
In the last few years, patient protection has become an issue of public concern. With the discovery of the AIDS (HIV) virus and the medical implications of Hepatitis-B, it has become necessary for health care facilities, such as our dental clinic in West Lafayette, to consistently apply state-of-the-art sterilization and disinfection techniques to provide patients with maximum protection.
In our office, your safety is our highest priority. Throughout the day, we continuously and thoroughly sterilize our equipment for your protection. Our protocol for sterilization includes the following:
- Before and after each patient appointment, all treatment surfaces (e.g., countertops, chair surfaces, lights, X-ray machines, and trays) are disinfected with the most effective and safest products available.
- To ensure your safety, we follow a number of standard sterilization procedures with all instruments and handpieces. First, they are brought into our sterilization room, and placed in an ultrasonic cleaner to remove even microscopic debris. The instruments and handpieces are then rinsed thoroughly before being sterilized in an autoclave, which runs for 20 minutes and reaches a temperature of 400-425 degrees, thereby destroying all bacteria and all viruses.
- At our dental clinic in West Lafayette, we use sterile water for all dental procedures to further ensure your safety.
- Our autoclave and dry-heat sterilizer are monitored regularly to ensure their effectiveness and safety.
- Staff members use masks, safety glasses, and new gloves for each patient.
- All staff members are updated annually in proper patient protection procedures and have been vaccinated against the Hepatitis-B virus. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding patient protection, and give you a personal tour of our sterilization facility.